Monday, July 13, 2009

Celebrate Good Times, or Girls' Camp part 2



It seems like a long time ago now, but girls' camp concluded only 23 days ago. I had a fabulous time, despite silly string attacks and the usual drama that occurs at girls' camp.  It was unseasonbly cool, so the evening firesides were brought indoors to the lodge, which for my talk, worked out much better.  The theme as designated by the Youth Camp Leaders (the oldest group of girls who are going to be seniors in high school in the fall) was "Celebrate Good Times."  Each day at camp was dedicated to a certain time period- 1st day= ancient times, 2nd day=Jesus' time, 3rd day=modern times. The evening speaker for each day focused on that time period.  I spoke about Ruth from the Old Testament, and had a great time with the girls. Courtney, a 1st year girl from my ward, came up to me the day after and asked some questions during scripture study, as she was reading the account of Ruth and wanted some clarification.  Thanks, Courtney- you made my week!

Something else that was a ton of fun was getting my camp name. Camp Taloa has a tradition of giving camp names to girls during their 4th year, and to leaders after their 2nd. Not only did I get my name, but so did Chris!  He visited on Thursday night which is the traditional night for bishops to come, but the invitation was extended to the entire bishopric this year, so he came.  Our camp names are. . hmmm, I feel a game coming on! Here are your choices for Chris's camp name: 1) Goofy 2) iTunes   3) Mac or 4) Schoolhouse Rock  Here are the choices for me (Staci): 1) Betty Crocker  2) Mama Bear     3) Odyssey  or 4) Mary Poppins  Leave your guess in a comment, and I'll post the correct answers in a few days! (Brooke, no playing! --She made up both of our names! And, speaking of Brooke, you should go check out her blog, too.  Go here to see her latest post.)
I love the spiritual charge I get at camp from being up and away from the usual cares and worries of life.  I get home ready to face everything again with a renewed sense of purpose and enthusiasm. Hurrah for girls' camp!!!

Enough words-- here are some pictures!

The drive up-


In the lodge-

 
 



Sister Moore, (camp name A la Mode) Stake YW, and photographer extraoridinaire-


In the kitchen with Brother Lakey (All Star), Sister Thomas, Brother Thomas, and Brooke (camp name Energizer!)-


Silly Youth Camp Leaders, a.k.a YCL's-



Camp Director Purple Heart (Sister Toth), center, with Tinkerbell, left, and Sister Crosby, right, hanging out by the pretty much empty pool (there are a few crazy girls down at the other end of the pool out of the picture shot)-


Cutie Kristen from my ward and silly-stringed Zury from my cabin-(Did I mention I hate silly string?)-


Mail call. Each group of girls sings for their mail-


Or, if you're lucky and get a letter from a boy, you sing by yourself for it! Sister Burke from the Stake young women lives up to her camp name of Tart 'n Tiny-- she's not shy when it comes to singing for her mail!


The leaders kick back and enjoy mail call-
 

The girls and leaders from Upland 5th ward. The different colored shirts represent the number of years a girl has been to camp 1st years are green, 2nd years are purple, 3rd years are orange, 5th years are pink, and leaders are tan-


Sister Heupel on the left (Mosaic) was my fellow cabin mom and we had a great time together. Sister Hiatt (Tye Dye) is the assistant camp director and our bishop's wife. The leaders are from the "Stone Age", hence the sign-

3 comments:

B said...

You forgot the most important part!

rachelsaysso said...

This post makes me cry a little because I love girls camp so much.

Sant Family said...

Chris is iTunes and you are Betty Crocker.

That is what I would name you guys, anyway. Goofy is a good one for Chris,too :).


Sounds like you had a fabulous time!