Friday, October 17, 2008

California's Proposition 8

I'm not one to talk politics much, so I hope you'll indulge me this one time.  Earlier this year, the California Supreme Court overturned the people's decision that marriage is defined in California as being between one man and one woman by saying it was unconstiutional and opening the door for same sex couples to marry. The consequences of this decision are already beginning to show. In San Francisco, 18 first graders were taken on a field trip to witness the marriage of their teacher to her partner, a supposed lesson in tolerance. To me, however, this is teaching small children that same sex marriage is OK and is the same as traditional marriage.  This is not for the state to decide!  This is an issue that for many has religious and moral implicications and is best taught according to the values and ideals of the individual family.  If this ruling is not overturned by amending the California state constitution, these types of things would continue in classrooms throughout the state, along with many other consequences that would interfere with religious freedoms.  This amendment would not take civil rights from same sex couples, but it will protect the rights of those who have religious grounds for teaching traditional marriage.  This amendment is not about hate or inequality--it is simply about the definition of marriage.  Many powerful entities like the California Teacher's association have contributed heavily in the last few days to the opposing side. To learn more about Proposition 8, go here or here.  I would never ask for money from anyone unless it was really important, and I'm not asking it for myself.  I'm asking for my kids, and for all the kids here in this state. This is really important--possibly the most important decision that will be made regarding families, the importance of gender, and what marriage really means. If you can help, even with just $10, please click here now. Even if you don't live in California--what happens here often influences what happens in other states.  (Go here to listen to Gavin Newsom, the mayor of San Francisco, as he gives a speech about the Supreme Court's ruling, and talks about that very thing.)  Please also pass this along to others you might know who may be interested in helping. Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

This reason and a few others are why I think someday we will all be homeschooling our kiddos.

I am glad that you spoke up about this. It is vital.

Morgan Family said...

Thank you Staci! We need all the voices we can get!

themayerfamily said...

It really does boil down to religion and our kids. I can't believe that in Massachussetts parents don't have the right to be forewarned about when their children will be taught about same sex marriage and actually must learn about it. THanks for this post!